Friday, August 20, 2010

Nutrition Thoughts

First let me say that I have no degree or formal training in Nutrition (or Grammar for that matter) so be warned! Not only am I an un-reliable source of "legitimate" information, but I lost the 5th grade spelling bee, for failing to capitalize the (I) in indian.

Nutrition is a HOT topic for all fitness enthusiasts, even those less than enthused are interested in learning how to "eat better." Over the years I've learned a couple of things about food, drink and how to put it all together. Here is what I've discovered:


* I feel better when I eat breakfast. Along with Coffee each morning.
* Oatmeal of any kind works very well to keep me full and energized (add some walnuts or almonds for an extra Protein punch.)
* A PB&J Sandwich on Whole Grain Bread is a great alternative.
* Water, Water, Water; Each meal & All day. You don't drink enough.
* If you are overweight, you don't! Sleepy, you don't! No matter what, you don't!
* Stop drinking juice, it's 200 calories and you haven't eaten anything.
* Lunch should have Protein in it, Eggs, Meat, Fish, Beans...all good, add some fruit or veggies and there you go.
* Dinner should also have Protein and vegetables and possibly some Whole Grain Pasta or Brown Rice. I don't care how late or what time it is. Dinner is when my fork hits the plate.
* Snacks aren't needed. You're not THAT hungry.
* Unless your THAT hungry! Then eat more fruit or nuts (any kind) and drink more water.
* Wine or Beer? I love them both, when I drink Wine I feel good and sleep great, when I drink beer I think I'm 20 years old again and I start staying up late. I don't know why?
* Limit your intake of both to no more than 1 per night (unless you work the night shift, then I suggest you drink in the morning.)
* I "occasionally" will have an extra glass on the weekends (most every weekend, Fri-Sat-Sun.) If I drink more water before bed, I feel great the next day.
* During my life (this one) these tips have served me well, I wish you the same good fortune.


Frank Pucher
Fitness 121

No comments:

Post a Comment