Monday, May 4, 2009

Get Over it

During my run on Sunday someone asked me "what I was training for?" I replied "I'm doing an IRONMAN this July." After the "WOW's and That's great" the questions switched to "How far you swimming, cycling, running, how many days/hrs etc?"
I began to question myself when I described my training schedule and the guy shot me a "is that it?" look.
Refusing to second guess myself I explained that (like life) training for IRONMAN isn't about executing a perfect plan, it's about adjusting to situations and managing the moment. Nothing goes as it should in life, training or Ironman; in having this knowledge and accepting it -we can adjust our plan accordingly and keep at it.
So to all in life, all who train for anything. "Don't let distractions take over. Take over distractions." Lose the excuses.

The truth is that there has never been worse time for me to train for this event; My foot hurts, the economy is shaky, I'm working longer and I am commited to not waking up at 3am or eatining dinner at 9pm. So I'm forced to do more with less under less than ideal circumstances, just like in life; just like an IRONMAN.

"Excuses are the nails upon which a house of failure is built."

Frank Pucher

No comments:

Post a Comment